President Nana Addo, after six years of deliberately shying away from the annual Hogbetsotso Festival of the Chiefs and People of Anlo, has graced this year’s which was held at Anloga on Saturday, 4th November, 2023. One would have expected that the President would resist the temptation of peddling falsehoods about projects in the Region, the very reason his Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia was hooted at at the previous year’s event.
As a beacon of transparency and accountability, the Volta NDC finds it necessary to set the record straight while demanding the urgent reconstruction and completion of vital roads in the Region.
1. The claim by Nana Addo that it was under his regime that the 15km Hohoe town roads were alsphalted is very inaccurate. In fact, the Hohoe township roads, which were started in 2015, are 15.2km. The NDC completed 9 km of the alsphalt roads by 2016 before its exit. The remaining 6.2km alsphalt road was what was completed in 2020 under his watch.
2. Another road mentioned by the President is the Wegbe-Alavanyo-Kpando roads. He actually appears to know nothing about this particular road. The road in question is a World Bank sponsored project that was completed under the NDC Regime, dubbed the *’PEACE PROJECT’*.
3. Indeed the Golokwati-Liati-Fodome road precedes Nana Addo. This project was initiated and completed by H.E. John Mahama. A little cross checking of the facts could have saved the President this level of embarrassment.
4. The Kpando-Have road was also awarded to FirstSky under John Mahama at the time Hon. Inusah Fuseini was the Minister for Roads. It is public knowledge that this project was completed before Nana Addo became president.
5. Nana Addo again peddled untruth when he sought to create the impression that a 22km Ho dualization project was done by him. Factually, there is no 22km Ho dualization project in Ho. What everyone sees in the Volta Regional Capital is an 11km project. Again, the President might have been misled.
6. We must place on record that most of the roads mentioned by the current President were actually projects started under the John Mahama led NDC between 2015 and 2016 but were deliberately put on hold under the guise of auditing to the cost of the suffering tax payer.
7. The Region is saddened by the fact that the President is overtly lackadaisical about the $100 million JICA approved fund by the Japanese Government under President Mahama in 2016 for the construction of the Volivo Dofor Adidome Bridge Project on the Volta Lake.
We vehemently call on the Nana Addo Government to expedite action on the Ho-Denu Road, the Shime Road, and all other abandoned roads in the Volta Region instead of laying claim to projects that were actually not done by his government.
The good people of the Volta Region deserve nothing less than the truth and tangible progress in the promised development projects. The NDC remains dedicated to upholding the rights and interests of the people and will continue to hold the government accountable for their promises and action.